Thursday, September 21, 2006

Definitions

I get a lot of flak for being antisocial. But I decided to look up the actual meaning of the word antisocial, and it really doesn't fit me at all.

an‧ti‧so‧cial  /[an-tee-soh-shuhl, an-tahy-]
–adjective
1.
unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people: He's not antisocial, just shy.
2.
antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.
3.
opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.
4.
Psychiatry. of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated. –noun
5.
a person exhibiting antisocial traits.

yes, I steal from Dictionary.com, but my Oxford's English dictionary is somewhere under my desk and I have no motivation to go dig through it.

Anways, I am not hostile toward other people, or unfriendly, menacing or threatening. I simply prefer to be alone or in a small group with people I genuinely like rather than a large group consisting mostly of people I have no real desire to be with. Introvert fits me much better. And yes, I am labeling myself. This whole new business about not labeling people is bull crap. Humans identify thing and people through their most apparent characteristics, it's just how we deal with the world. If we took the time to REALLY get to know every person in order to not pigeonhole them into one specific category, our brains would be so overloaded with information that the lobotomy would come back into fashion.

The other thing I find is that complete, anonymous strangers are infinitely more interesting than people I see every day but don't really know. Not in a creepy, let's go lurk around chatrooms kind of way, but in the way that I would be perfectly okay with going to a brand new environment and getting to know brand new people there than get to know some of the chicas and chicos I associate with now. I've also been called judgemental. And I am. But so are you, I just don't lie about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home